What gadgets, tools, and trinkets do I look at and/or touch every single day aside from my laptops?
- A plant (or two) - This is a MUST for me, hence the inclusion on this list of essentials. There’s something about the good energy that comes from having a piece of greenery on or near your desk. I have one small one that is determined to live forever, which is perfect for someone like me who doesn’t have a green thumb. :)
- Stapler and staple remover - I touch these two at least twice a week. They’re basic items that need a spot in every home office.
- Sticky notes and holder - Okay, so I have to be honest here. A friend of mine introduced me to the Sticky Note app on my PC last month and I’ve tried it but I still need my paper sticky notes on my desk. If you’re like me, may I also suggest you set aside time to review and discard the sticky notes on a regular basis. There’s nothing like having a desk full of sticky notes that are 6 months old.
- Footrest - There was a time when I worked in a traditional office and used a box with a short stack of yellow pages to elevate my feet. There are literally tons of options out there, but I’ve included the link for the one I use now. Very basic, but it’s better than nothing for me. As I write this post, though, I’m strongly thinking about upgrading. Feel free to drop any suggestions in the Comments section below.
- Pen/pencil holder - The one I’ve attached here was my first and I’d still have it if my daughter hadn’t “borrowed” it a couple of years ago. Now that I think about it, I should probably buy another one. This was great not only for pens and pencils, but also for scissors, paper clips, and more.
- Shredder - Shred! Shred! Shred! Identity theft is real. Please invest in one that does the fancy cross-cut or micro-cut thing. You’ll be glad you did.
- Printer/scanner/fax/copier - I was fortunate enough to be given one of these nifty gadgets by my former employer. I’m convinced that you get what you pay for with these things. I purchased a fairly inexpensive one some time ago and the paper jams pretty much sent me over the deep end. Save up and invest!
- Lighting - My desk is directly in front of a fairly large window with awesome natural light, but as the sun sets, I turn on my desk light with the energy efficient bulb. Yes, I like to save a few dollars when possible.
- Soundmine Bluetooth Speaker - Here’s my thought process with this one... It is very easy to keep the television on the music channel all day, but what exactly does that do for the electric bill? I listen to music and podcasts from my phone on my bluetooth speaker and it’s perfect.
- Personal care items kit/section - There is a small section for items I might need throughout the day - Kleenex, a travel size bottle of Bath & Body Works lotion, a nail file, and Vaseline.
What are your top home office essentials? Go ahead and share in the Comments section below.
Interested in receiving and sharing quick tips like these with other moms who work from home? Go ahead and join our growing Facebook group - The WAHM Water Cooler by clicking HERE. :)